Notes upon Notes is run by the writer/editor Joanna Wyld, who writes programme and CD liner notes on all genres of music.
Joanna Wyld has written several hundred notes covering the spectrum of musical styles and repertoires, including: classical, pop, nostalgia, folk and music for children. Notable commissions include programme notes for:
- Beethoven’s 9th Symphony for the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic 175th Anniversary concerts
- RLPO’s UK premiere of Beethoven’s 9th Symphony orchestrated by Mahler
- John Cage Night at the Queen Elizabeth Hall
- Royal Philharmonic Orchestra’s Christmas Concert at the Royal Albert Hall
- BBC Radio 3 lunchtime concerts at LSO St Luke’s, including a series by Nicola Benedetti
Artists for whom Joanna Wyld has written include the BBC Orchestras, the Hallé, the LSO, RLPO, RPO, the Nash Ensemble, Pierre-Laurent Aimard, Tamara Stefanovich, Barbara Bonney, Julia Fischer, Dame Felicity Lott, Anne-Sophie Mutter, Pascal Rogé, Stephen Fry, Joanna Lumley, Harry Enfield, Shirley Bassey and Bobby McFerrin.
Joanna has also conducted interviews with percussionist Evelyn Glennie, violinists Viktoria Mullova and Lisa Batiashvili, the conductor/composer Stephen Barlow, and the author Michael Morpurgo (Children’s Laureate 2003–5), who described her work as “wonderful.”
Joanna won the 2014 Oxford University Press spoof Grove Dictionary article competition, also winning the second and third runner-up places. She was commended by the judges for her “inspired” entries, and for making them “laugh out loud”.
Concerts for which Joanna has written programme notes can be found here.